Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Absent Friend

Denial, the old joke says,
is not a river in Egypt,
but I find myself drowning in it
all the same.

You would  have appreciated that,
fond of wordplay as you were.

I read your old e-mails
when I wish I could
talk to you.

I drink tea and listen
to the steady blowing
of the vent in this office,
a background noise
to accompany my drift
into the past,

to the time I made you laugh,
almost causing the Coke
you were drinking
to come out your nose
and how you did the same to me
a few minutes later
and grinned that gotcha back
grin at me.

The day after you died
I got a piece of junk mail 
offering me a deal
on my final expenses,
and on the anniversary
of your passing, I 
got the same offer in the mail

and I believed you were
messing with me from the other side,
at least that is what I
chose to believe because
I deny any notion that
I will never see you again.
I deny the idea that you
are gone forever,
that you are not still around
shaking loose these memories
from the vault of my sorrow
to help me write this poem to you. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment