Monday, June 17, 2019

Australian Dream

Last night when I slipped into slumber
I had a dream about the Land Down Under.
I was surrounded by lorikeets and wallaroos,
wallabies, dingos, koalas, and emus.

I felt rather stoked and jolly.
I was out woop woop with my swag and brolly
when I encountered a kangaroo,
who hopped about while playing a didgeridoo.

I said, "Now I feel a bit drongo,
because I should have brought my bongos
so that i might accompany you."
"No wuckas!" said the kangaroo.

Then he finished playing his song
and jumped into a billabong.
He invited me to go with him.
He said, "Get yourself nuddy and we'll have a swim!"

"I never learned to swim,"  I said.
"I think I will just walk instead."
Just then a wombat and a platypus
drove up in a Volkswagen minibus.

I asked if I could bum a ride
and they said,  "Sure! Come on inside!"
We drove to the sounds of Accadacca,
then got hungry and stopped at Macca's.

Then a kookaburra swooped down on me
and carried me up to his old gum tree.
It was just a dream, or so I believed
until I woke up covered in eucalyptus leaves. - Jeff Barnes 

No comments:

Post a Comment