Sunday, April 29, 2018

NaPoWriMo, Day 29

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt is based on the Plath Poetry Project's calendar, in which you choose a Sylvia Plath poem and write something in response to or inspired by it. I chose her poem, Daddy and tried to write something with similar repetitive rhymes and sense of despair. I don't know if it's any good or not, but here it is.



The Dream


I had no idea what I should do.
I was left without a clue
in the dream I had of losing you.
the sensation was entirely new.
It burned through and through,
this feeling I never knew.
The ground was on fire
and the sky was frigid and blue.
What was left of my mind
burst out of my head and flew.
My fingers couldn't grip
and my brain couldn't think.
Everything was thrown out of sync.
My balance was gone in a blink.
Summer birds died in the cold.
My head was too heavy
for my body to hold.
All the colors turned to gray.
I stuttered and puttered
but could not say.
Dragonflies turned
into birds of prey
as the vortex began
to spin me away
and drown me in my own
tears of grief.
I knew the abyss
would be my only relief. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment