Tuesday, April 3, 2018

NaPoWriMo, Day 3

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt is to write "a list poem in which all the items are made-up names." Maureen recommended made-up band names as a possibility, so I ran with it. I didn't want to do a mere list, so I tried to build a story around it.


Sage

I first saw her in the Crucified Octopus Coffee House.
She wore a Lutefisk Rage t-shirt.
I worked up my nerve to approach her
and when I did, I asked about the shirt.
She told me that Lutefisk Rage was a punk band
from Sleepy Eye, Minnesota and said
that I bore a slight resemblance to their bass player.
"I hope that's a good thing," I said and she just smiled
and said her name was Sage.

I asked if I could buy her a coffee and she smiled again,
so I took that as a yes. The barista who brought
us our coffee was wearing a Political Fellatio
t-shirt. She said she had bought it at their concert
last September, when they were touring with
Ernie Plays With Guns as their warm up band.

Sage asked me what my favorite band was
and I said The Martian Beatniks. She said she
had never heard them, so I invited her to my place
to listen to their music. "I hope that's not
inappropriate," I said. "I mean,
I don't know if you have a significant other."
"It's fine," she said. "I broke up with my boyfriend
last month because he was mean, the sex was lousy
and he had quit bathing and brushing his teeth."
"Ugh!" I said.
"Really!" she said. "Besides, he had terrible taste
in music. His favorite band was Annie Spans the Canyon."
"Oh, shit!" I said. "I'd rather listen to geese in a washing machine."
"I've never heard of them," she said.
"No," I said. "That's not a band. It's just an expression I made up."
"Oh," she said. "Still, that would be a cool band name."
"I guess it would," I said.

She liked The Martian Beatniks a lot and ended up
spending the night. I made breakfast in the morning --
coffee and Cap'n Crunch, if you consider that making breakfast,
and she told me she had tickets to the Another Dead Fish
concert Saturday and asked if I'd like to go.
"Hell yes!" I said, and we've been inseparable ever since.

I knew she was serious about me when she took me
to meet her parents. There was a Roadside Corn Flakes
concert poster on their living room wall and her father
was wearing a Minister Goat t-shirt.
She took me aside and whispered in my ear,
"You'll have to forgive Daddy. He's such a square." - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment