Saturday, April 10, 2021

Debris

Whenever I pass
that dying old mall
I think of our dinners
at the Chinese buffet
and how you would criticize
everything I ate:
"Too many noodles,
not enough broccoli"
and "Cheese wontons
are an abomination,"
ad infinitum

and I see many
of the godawful movies
you dragged me to,
now available
in the five dollar DVD bins
at various stores.

You don't know how many
times I was tempted,
when I picked you up
for our dates, to say
"Are you ready?  
Put on your frown
and let's be off!"

I remember the
wooden yo-yo
and plastic army men
I had as a kid,
the comic books
with covers coming off,
the Hot Wheels
and Matchbox Cars
with their peeling paint

and can't help
but think of you
as just another memory
in the junk drawer
of my life. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment