Thursday, April 1, 2021

Lullaby



The minstrel and his cat
sat in the full moon's light
singing songs and drinking tea
while an angel swooped down from Heaven
and passionately kissed a mermaid
on a shore of the Caribbean Sea.

A white-haired gent in a pointed hat
built a slipshod spaceship
and flew it right into a black hole.
His bearded and bespectacled brother
put on a top hat and tuxedo
and took his pet alligator for a stroll.

An octopus leapt out of my coffee.
He said, "Good evening!" and bowed,
then did a tap dance on my tablecloth.
The woman from the house next door
played a harp on her front lawn
before she transformed into a Luna moth.

A purple walrus climbed up a tree
and sang an ancient sea shanty
while perched on the highest branch.
A pink jackalope came to my door
and asked me if I knew the way
to the nearest cattle ranch.

A street performer on the corner
transmogrified into a glowing liquid
and evanesced into the darkening sky.
I went out to say good night
to all the hooting owls
as the moon winked out like a sleepy eye. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment