Saturday, April 29, 2023

Boss Hoss Silver Special



The only thing I vividly remember praying for
as a child in church 
was that my Hot Wheels
Mustang Boss Hoss Silver Special
(only available by joining the Hot Wheels Fan Club)
would arrive soon.

My mom had sent them a check
a million years ago, it seemed
and I waited
and waited
and waited.
Every day I came home from school
only to find it hadn't arrived.

Mom wrote letter after letter
to the Mattel toy company,
as I said prayer after prayer,
and finally Mom wrote and threatened
to report them to the postmaster for mail fraud.

About a week after that final letter I came home
and there was a package for me.
My Mustang Boss Hoss had finally arrived!

A few days later, a second Mustang Boss Hoss arrived,
and then, a few days after that,
a third one!
Did Mom's threatening letter prod them into action,
or was it the power of prayer that worked for me?
Who got tired of being nagged,
Mattel?
Or God? - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment