Saturday, April 22, 2023

Death's Reject (with apologies to Emily Dickinson)

Because Death would not stop for me
I chased him down the road.
I ran after him, waving and shouting
but his carriage never slowed.

I couldn't catch up with him
no matter how fast I ran,
so I went back to my house
to think of another plan.

The next day I waited for him
at an intersection.
I waylaid his carriage and climbed aboard
despite his forceful objections.

"Please take me with you," I said.
"This lonely life must end.
You've taken everyone I ever loved.
I want to join my family and friends!"

"You do not belong here," he said.
"Your time is not yet through."
He pushed me out of his carriage.
"Go away!" he said. "Be off with you!"

He traveled further down the road
and around a curve he turned,
leaving me sitting all alone
like a lover who has been spurned. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment