Friday, April 7, 2023

Teachers

 In 1966
Adam West as Batman 
instilled in me
respect for justice,
the use of proper grammar,
and a love of pop art.

The Frankenstein monster,
chased by angry mobs
across the TV screen,
taught me that when you are hated
it says more about the haters
than the object of their hatred,

while Scooby Doo revealed to me
that the real monsters
are, invariably, humans.

Bugs Bunny let me know it was okay
to live life on my own terms,
and that I should never take crap
from anybody,

while Curly Howard taught me
to never let the Moes of the world
crush my spirit
or my sense of silliness.

John Lennon inspired me
to play with words
and to twist them in ways
that would send pretentious academics
into paroxysms.

Charlie Brown taught me
to be true to myself
even in the face of ridicule,
to seek out the Linuses of the world
in times of misgiving,
while Snoopy taught me
to dance through life and never let the world
constrain my fancies. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment