Saturday, April 6, 2024

When the Chinamen Come

My grandfather, the old bastard,
was always obsessed with the idea
that China would someday
take over the world.

I don't know how many times
we heard him say,
"The Chinamen gonna come."

Whenever my sister or I
would complain about anything
his response was the same.
"You think it's bad now, just wait
till the Chinamen come."

Anytime we didn't like 
a certain food he'd say,
"Just wait. You will learn to eat it
when the Chinamen come."

He was such a tightwad that
if he were alive today,
he would do most of his shopping
at dollar stores for things
made in Chinese sweat shops,

and I can imagine him smiling smugly
if Chinese soldiers surrounded
my sister and me as
we were forced to eat
liver, zucchini, and beets
at gunpoint. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment