Thursday, April 14, 2022

My First Day

The only color to be seen that day
was the deep gray of the clouds.
The air was drenched with rain,
the thunder, fiery and loud. 
The wind sounded almost like
a contrabass French horn.
That's what it was like
on the day that I was born.

Grandma took my sister
out to trick or treat.
Her paper sack soaked right though
and her candy dropped on the street.
She ate it all anyway
and later got sick and hurled.
That's the kind of day it was
when I came into the world.

It was a Halloween so dark and rainy
that it seemed like a cliche.
Witches flew high above the trees
as their branches began to sway.
The leaves all swirled about
like spirits on a spree.
Everyone said it was gloomy and dreadful
the day that I came to be. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment