Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Tree Talk

Trees have a vast underground network
through which they can talk among themselves,
but what do you suppose they talk about?
"Hey, I heard  that Albert is now a set of shelves."

"I felt a tickly sensation
of something climbing up my trunk.
I thought at first it was a squirrel,
but it turned out to be a pesky little chipmunk."

"Did you hear about poor old Ernie?
He was taken way too soon.
Parts of him are in several kitchens,
for he got turned into wooden spoons."

"I must admit I have a crush on Donna.
She's the prettiest tree I've ever seen.
I just adore her perfectly shaped branches
and her leaves are strikingly full and green."

"Yes, Donna is beautiful, I know,
but I am madly in love with Lucy.
She is breathtakingly tall and majestic
and her red apples look delicious and juicy."

"Edward has become quite a show-off
now that his wisteria is in full bloom."
"Poor Matthew is now a coffee table
standing in somebody's living room."

"The neighborhood kids are always climbing me.
I really detest those little brats!
Still, it could be worse. I could be Thomas.
I heard he got turned into baseball bats."

"Joyce Kilmer said he'd never seen a poem as lovely as a tree.
He is the very definition of a hypocrite!
They keep cutting us down to make paper for his poem.
Have you ever heard a bigger crock of shit?"

If you feel a vibration under your feet
and hear a mysterious, murmuring sound,
it might be trees talking to each other.
You can listen if you put an ear to the ground. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment