Friday, April 22, 2022

Ned the Dragon and Fred

I woke up this morning
with a feeling of dread
when I saw a dragon
at the foot of my bed.
His eyes were yellow
and his scales were red.
I was really scared until he said,
"Good morning, Fred!
My name is Ned!
Please excuse me for appearing
at the foot of your bed.
I had to give up the life I led
in a faraway hamlet," he said.
"They hated me there,
and so I fled."

"That's terrible!" I said.
"I know," said Ned.
"I had to find a place where
I'd be welcome instead."


"I admit you gave me a scare," I said,
"when I saw you at the foot of my bed.
And how did you know my name was Fred?"

"It  was what I read 
on your mailbox," he said.
"Fred Hempstead,
a name that rhymes with my name, Ned.
And your house, like my scales,
is a bright shade of red.
I took that as a good sign," said Ned.

"I have lots of room," I said.
"You seem very polite and well bred.
You're taller than I am
but only by a head.
I think you'd fit nicely in the spare bed."

"That sounds wonderful!" he said.
And now I share my homestead
with my scaly red 
well-mannered friend, Ned. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment