Thursday, April 11, 2019

NaPoWriMo 2019, Day 11

Today's prompt is to write a poem about origins -- where we are from geographically or emotionally or spiritually.

Origin

I don't call it my hometown.
It was only the place
I happened to be
when I was growing up,

not that I was 
completely present.
I spent most of my time
wandering the landscape
of my dreams.

The soundtrack of my childhood
was Beatles music
absorbed by osmosis
from my older sister's room.

I preferred comic books
to fishing rods,
vampire bats
to baseball bats,
fictional characters
to the kids on my street.

If you ask where I am from,
I will have to say many places:
Gotham City and Metropolis,
Bedrock and Riverdale,
Termite Terrace and Transylvania.

I don't need directions
no matter what road I'm on.
It makes no difference where I go.
I will always find my way home. - Jeff Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment