Saturday, April 6, 2019

NaPoWriMo 2019, Day 6

Today's prompt is to write a poem of what is possible, the power of if.  Well, I started to do that in my mind and got completely off track, which led to this instead.

Elegy

It is useless
when I stand at your grave
to try to feel your essence
in the wind,
as though your ghost
lingered among the grass
and trees,

useless
to listen for your voice
in the songs of birds
simply defending
their territory
or calling for mates,

useless
to seek your spirit
in places we used to go,
for those restaurants,
stores, and
movie theaters
aren't there anymore.

Only through music
can I reach you.
The songs you loved
playing in the car
as I speed down
the highway
make me aware
0f your presence
as though you were
in the seat beside me. - Jeff Barnes


No comments:

Post a Comment