Saturday, April 27, 2019

NaPoWriMo 2019, Day 27

Today's prompt is to "remix" a Shakespearean sonnet.  Well, I went to "Sonnet XII" and stole the first line, then took it in my own direction.

Morning Sonnet
(With apologies to William Shakespeare)

When I count the clock that tells the time
and see the garish day replace the holy night,
I so dread the alarm clock's chime
and the bedroom flooded in morning light.
When the cats jump on the bed
and run like tigers through the house,
most insistent that they be fed,
we must arise though we may grouse.
Though we may dread another day of work,
we take some comfort at the sound of the beep
that tells us the coffee is starting to perk,
and the caffeine will ease us from our sleep.
We hope the day will speed by so that then
we can come home and start the cycle again. - Jeff Barnes


If you're curious and have not read it, here is the original by Shakespeare:


Sonnet 12: When I do count the clock that tells the time



When I do count the clock that tells the time, 
And see the brave day sunk in hideous night; 
When I behold the violet past prime, 
And sable curls all silver’d o’er with white;
When lofty trees I see barren of leaves 
Which erst from heat did canopy the herd,
And summer’s green all girded up in sheaves 
Borne on the bier with white and bristly beard, 
Then of thy beauty do I question make, 
That thou among the wastes of time must go,
Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsake
And die as fast as they see others grow; 
   And nothing ‘gainst Time’s scythe can make defence
   Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment